Saturday, November 24, 2012

2009 Goose Island Bourbon County

Well, I had been waiting a while to open up this one, and what better excuse than being home for the holidays.  I mean, I have to choose something to keep my mind off Ohio.  And as newly minted man with a mustache, I insist on drinking out of a snifter.  Now if I could only grow proper facial hair...


2009 Goose Island Bourbon County

Appearance- An opaque motor oil black color as tot he best of my knowledge, no light is making it through this one.  A small tan head disappears quickly leaving no sign of its existence behind.  Obviously there is not much lacing as well.  This isn't terribly surprising with the age on this beer.

Smell- There is still a fair amount of wood present in the smell that is accompanied by a musty sort of smell.  Tons of roasted malt with coffee undertones that is expected.  A moderate vanilla smell helps bring together the beer with a pleasant amount of bourbon.  The musty character continues throughout the beer as well.

Taste- A rich and complex malt flavor drives this beer's profile.  The roasted barley, coffee, and smooth chocolate mold together wonderfully.  Compared to younger versions of this beer, this is amazingly more smooth and enjoyable.  It does not just taste like a big beer, rather each component has seemed to fall into its place.  There are small amounts of dark fruit esters in the middle right before an alcohol taste finishes out the beer.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied and chewy.  There is very little carbonation to go with the full body and the alcohol leaves a warming taste as well.

Overall and Notes- This was well worth the wait.  Much smoother than a fresh bottle and I would even like to see one more year on this one.  My only regret is not putting another one of these bottles away.

Also, remember you can still donate to my disgusting mustache!  This is the last week!

1 comment: