Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Stillwater Stateside Saison

I won't lie, I'm a little backed up with places and beers I have been meaning to post.  Been a little busy lately.  That being said, I couldn't help popping open my first Stillwater saison tonight.  I mean anyone that can do gypsy brewing is alright in my book.  That just sounds awesome.  Gypsy brewing.  On to the beer!

Stillwater Stateside Saison


Appearance- Golden yellow in color with a decent amount of haze in the body. A billowing white bubbly head appears before relinquishing its size to something more manageable. That being said, the head stays around with sticky lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell- Some ripe fruits with pear and banana lurking beneath. Spicy phenols emerge with some esters throughout the beer. The end becomes a little musty that feels accentuated by the spicy phenols.

Taste- A sweet malt beginning that has some bread and biscuit in the taste. The middle develops into slight fruit with the pear and banana once again coming to the forefront. Towards the end the beer starts to dry out with some spicy phenols and a slight bitterness accompanying it. 

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a sweet start that becomes dry int he finish. I would prefer a saison that is a little drier, but still enjoyable.

Overall and Notes- Good first beer from Stillwater. If the beer was slightly drier I think it would make this go a little further. Nonetheless, a great beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment