Monday, July 8, 2013

New York City

I spent the last week visiting New York City and my brother and used some of the time to visit some beer places in the city.  Luckily, it was not too hard finding beer in the city, but it was a little difficult finding time to take myself away from the rest of what the city offered (and convince others to join me) in order to see some of the places I wanted to get to.  In the end, I ended up visiting d.b.a. and Spuyten Duyvil.

d.b.a was a dark bar that had around 10-15 taps and a sprawling bottle list.  They added a nice touch with the tap list by listing the date each beer was tapped in case you are worried you are getting fresh beer, although with a place like this located in New York City, I doubt there is much concern.  Although d.b.a had some rarer beers and saisons I wanted to try, the prices were as large as I would have expected.  One of these days I am going to get a real job, dammit.  In the mean time, maybe just enjoy the picture I took of the board?  I went fairly simple with a fairly basic belgian (and for the life of me I cannot remember its name) followed by a Rodenbach Red.  Nothing out of the ordinary.

Next, at the suggestion of my brother's friend, we headed to Spuyten Duyvil for another couple of drinks.  The inside of the bar is fairly small and reminiscent of a basic pub, but the bar had a great garden in the back.  Even as I sat uncomfortably sweating in the heat, I could not help but enjoy the scenery, and more importantly the beer.  We enjoyed more than a couple Mission IPAs and I also grabbed a Green Jack Rippa and another IPA on cask (something it seems they always have)  What really caught my eye were the two boards which were dedicated to "Flemish" beers and other sours.  Notably, they served Cantillon Gueze among many others.  Once again, my wallet disagreed with my heart unfortunately.

So what did we really learn on this trip?  I am absolutely horrible at taking notes and/or even remembering the names of the new beers I have.  In my defense, I was in New York City.  Back off.

In good news, I have two beers fermenting at the moment and will update on those in the near future.  However, I cannot guarantee quality notes on those either.... or anything for that matter...

No comments:

Post a Comment