Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Russian River Consecration

As I mentioned before, I have a lot of catching up to do with the beers I have been drinking  before I put up what I have been brewing.  Luckily, I have a friend who is from outside of Portland and is kind enough to pick me up beers when she goes home.  And by kind enough, I mean that she eventually tires of me shoving a fistful of cash in her hand and crying until she eventually agrees to look for the beer I transcribed on a voluminous list.  Friends, right!?!?

Russian River Consecration

Appearance- A burgundy brown color with a very small off white head.  Head almost disappears completely leaving just a ring around the edge of the glass.  Murky clarity.

Smell- A smack of vinegar acidity right away with slight barnyard funk and a little hay.  Fruits appear fairly quickly with apple and cherry most prominently featured.  Some dark plums and raisins also make their way through as well.

Taste- Quick hints of cherry and plums before a sharp acidic sourness quickly builds and bursts through, peaking in the middle and lasting through the finish.  A light apple taste turns towards the end. Sour taste is full, balanced, and not overwhelming.  Probably one of the cleanest and most complex sour beers I have experienced.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and low carbonation.  Very dry finish and the taste seems to leave a layer covering the mouth.

Overall and Notes- Once again, one of the most complex sour beers I have had.  A mouth puckering sour with overshadowing the complexities of the fruit.  Luckily I have another bottle of this and I think I may try to harvest the dregs and brew my own sour beer with it, but we will see.  Also, I unfortunately lost the pictures to this one, so use those beautiful imaginations of yours!

On a side note, soon I was hoping to document one of the local farmers markets I go to in order to pick up some fruits and vegetables that I will be using in coming beers.  I also saw blueberries last time I was there.  I like blueberry jam.  I would like to make blueberry jam.  Does this sound right to anyone?  Does anyone care?

No comments:

Post a Comment