Thursday, November 24, 2011

Deschutes Fresh Hop Mirror Pond Pale Ale

Well I was lucky enough to be the recipient for a couple of beers the other week.  I guess I can temporarily hold off any sarcastic remarks towards you this week.  Don't expect this to last for long though.  Also, I'm aware that I haven't exactly been on top of getting that Chicago beer to you.  Uhhhhhh..... sorry?

Anyways, I have been wanting to try Deschutes for a really long time so when I saw the name on the bottle I jumped a little bit.  A little excessive?  Maybe, but I have been known for worse so you should be happy.

Deschutes Fresh Hope Mirror Pond Pale Ale



Appearance- Golden-orange in color with an off white head.  The head holds strong as sticky lacing grabs to the side of the glass with all its might.

Smell- The citrus hops attack the nostrils immediately with a bit of a pine and resin afterthought.  Although the hops are strong, there is a caramel malt balance to help remind you this is a Pale Ale rather than an IPA.  Beneath the citrus hops a little bit of pear also just inches through.

Taste- A delicious citrus hop flavor comes through in the beginning with hints of grapefruit dotted along the way.  A decent maltiness balances in the middle but the taste fades a little towards the end.  It almost taste a little woody, I’m leaning towards saying it has some astringency.  Bitterness builds towards the middle and continues towards the finish, only reaching moderate levels.

Mouthfeel- Medium to medium-light body with moderate carbonation that is slightly prickly on the tongue.

Overall- Nice start from Deschutes.  Now if only I could get everything else they offer…

Well Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I hope it is wonderful.  This time of year means I get to listen to my family explain how Notre Dame football has let them down for another year.  I must admit that the insults have not been as fun since Charlie Weiss left, but I suspect that this year could bring something special.  Call me an optimist.  I hope everyone else has wonderful conversation as well!

1 comment: