Saturday, December 31, 2011

Maple Bacon Stout Brewing

I'm back!  I know it has been a rough month for the constant influx of viewers.  Unfortunately other priorities are supposed to come before beer (horrible, I know) and therefore have been suspiciously absent on the interwebs.  That being said, I am back to brewing!  Well... somewhat.

Over Thanksgiving I went home and was able to temporarily get back to brewing.  Since it was Thanksgiving and I haven't brewed in a while, I wanted to do something special.  BOOM!  Bacon.  What is more American than to brew a bacon beer at Thanksgiving time?  Nothing I say, nothing!  I thought about using smoked malt again but decided against that, and besides. I didn't want five gallons of bacon beer.  Instead, I remembered Rogue trying to make a maple bacon porter yet underwhelming most people when it was released as a maple bacon brown ale.  I decided to one up them and make a maple bacon stout.

The recipe I used was based off the recipe I did for the pumpkin sweet stout (please do not judge me) earlier, but with some tweeks:

10 lbs English Maris Otter
0.75 lb English Black Malt
0.75 lb Briess Caramel (80 L)
0.50 lb Fawcett Pale Chocolate
1 lb Lactose sugar

Yeast: Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale

Mash in: 152 degrees
Sparge: 175 degrees

Original gravity: 1.062
Final gravity: 1.022

Apparently all the time off from brewing made be a little lazy and forgetful.  I didn't have time to make a yeast starter and the yeast nutrient container in the smack pack wouldn't break upon smacking.  Sigh.  As well, I forgot to add the sugar to the boil and had to improvise adding it after.  That being said, upon moving to secondary it tasted dandy... for now.


12/30: Split the batch into two 3 gallon glass carboys and added 24-32 oz of maple syrup each.  Mosher's radical brewing stated that adding maple syrup to the secondary will give a bigger maple syrup smell.  I obediently listened.  Will be adding my bacon fat wash when bottling next week and will update with a post about the process.  The other half will just be a maple sweet stout.  Joy!  Happy new year!

1/4: Tried my first attempt at fat washing

3 comments:

  1. All I can say is, it's about time, lollygagger.

    P.S. Make sure I get some. And when you headed back to Chicago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is about time. Don't worry, you will get some. I'm actually already back in Chicago, but will be backing in Ohio for a short time I believe starting the 5th. You pick up the stuff I got you yet or are you still out West?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like Sonny Rollins: Way Out West.

    I head back on the 10th or something. I'll grab the goodies then.

    Word, my man.

    ReplyDelete