Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Jak's Tap

New month and more importantly, happy no shave November (or Movember, whichever you please)!  Facial hair holidays are the best, unless you are anyone that has to look at me.  My school has a mustache contest for charity, so this year I can actually use an excuse.  Take that family at Thanksgiving!

I have been meaning to post something about Jak's Tap seeing as it is right next to me, but it has slipped my mind the past couple of weeks.  I wandered into Jak's Tap shortly after I moved to Chicago for a quick bite to eat and found a selection of beer that was a pleasant surprise.  A place next to me that sells delicious beer?  It is only with the greatest self restraint that I am still in school and possess money.

Jak's is the first place that I had Lost Abbey and can supply a nice fix of Gumballhead should the occasion arise.  Hey, when's the last time you had Gumballhead constantly on tap right across the street from you?  Never you say?   Bummer.  A good amount of the American craft beers linger around $5 with some dipping below, a surprise I wasn't expecting.  Apparently Jak's makes up for this by gauging their prices for any beer with the label "import".  $8.25 for a Weihenstephaner hefe is the most expensive I have seen the beer in the city so far.  It makes it even worse that I like this beer, but I might as well get it somewhere else.  Come on Jak, step your game up.

On the food side, there is a selection of the basic bar food that most people are used to.  I haven't ventured to far as a result of not possessing vast amounts of money, but the carnita tacos were loaded and delicious while the burger was nothing special.  The burger did come with the option of jalapeno mac and cheese.  Anything with peppers in it tickles my fancy, but it seems there may have been a slight mix up between "jalapeno" and "pepperjack."  *Sigh*

With everything said, Jak's is a solid place if you are looking for more mainstream bar with more selection, but lacks what makes a great beer bar.  Don't worry, as long as you keep the Gumballhead a pumpin', I'll keep a comin' (I hate myself).

Now.... let the beard growing begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment