Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Belgian IPA Tasting

This is one that I have been looking forward to trying.  After receiving some tips from Haymarket on how they brew their Angry Birds and Rubber Monkey Belgian IPAs, I decided to brew my own.  And to say the least I am fairly happy with the results (there is a joke somewhere in there playing on the name of Angry Birds, but I will spare you....this time).

Appearance- Hazy golden orange in color with a thin white head.  Although it does stick around, it could be a little better. Maybe a little more time in the bottle will help. Lacing noticeable in medium amounts.

Smell- The chinook and cascade hops are very noticeable with a cirtusy hop aroma to begin.  The hop aromas meld into the middle of the beer as a phenolic and clove aroma pick up.  Some slightly doughy and a hint of resin noticeable in the back end.

Taste- Much more of a balance with the citrus hops and the belgian yeast flavor.  Citrus flavors are a little lighter  and mixed in with a phenolic clove.  Middle of the beer seems more medicinal than the smell, but not off putting.  A slight peppery spice in the middle and moving towards the end.  The beer finishes with a medium amount of bitterness.  The Beglian yeast notes become more noticeable as the beer warms up.  

Mouthfeel- Medium-light body, lighter than I would like.  Medium carbonation and the very dry finish that I expected after mashing at the low temperatures.

Overall Notes- Very excited about where this beer ended up considering my last attempt at a Belgian IPA.  However, there is still a good amount of work needed to be done.  Notably, I would like to increase the body and the size of the beer overall.  I'm hoping that along with that will come more yeast character.  

No comments:

Post a Comment