Friday, August 16, 2013

Double IPA Brewday

I noticed that I have been stockpiling saison and needed a little change (until the following week when I brewed another saison).  I haven't brewed a double IPA for a couple years now and figured I would revisit it before fall hit.  The basic recipe is based off Pliny the Elder (who would have guessed!?) from Russian River, with some of my own small changes to it.  I also attempted another fly sparge with this one and am still getting the hang of it.  As a result, I think my efficiency was a little low, so this may be somewhere in between an IPA and a double IPA.  Or maybe just an IPA.  Leave me alone.

Besides that, it was just a wonderful weekend of brewing beer and seeing The Cure.  Pretty much your ideal weekend.

Batch size: 5 gallons
Original gravity: 1.063
Final gravity:
Boil time: 60 minutes
Mash time: 90 minutes

14.0 lbs Two row
0.5 lb White wheat
0.5 lb Crystal (40 L)
0.5 lb Cara Pils
1.0 lb White belgian candy rocks

2.0 oz Columbus @ 90 min
1.0 oz Warrior @ 90 min
1.0 oz Columbus @ 60 min
1.0 oz Simcoe @ 45 min
1.0 oz Simcoe @ 30 min
1.0 oz Simcoe @ 0 min
2.0 oz Centennial @ 0 min
3.0 oz Columbus @ dry
1.5 oz Centennial @ dry
1.5 oz Simcoe @ dry

1.0 tsp Irish dry moss
0.5 tsp Yeast nutrient
5.0 g Gypsum

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Water Profile: Chicago

Mashed in with 4.5 gallons of water at 150 degrees F.  In the mash I added 2 grams of gypsum.  Fly sparged with 5 gallons of water and collected 7.5 gallons of wort.  I actually added the 60 minuted addition hops by mistake and had to adjust with my remaining hops.  Oh well.

Brewed: 8/3/13

Secondary: 8/22/13 Racked the beer into secondary over the dry hops, half being leaf and the other half being pellet.  Hoping using less pellet hops will decrease some of the unnecessary grassy flavors.

Bottling:

Tasting:

No comments:

Post a Comment