Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Bruery Sour in the Rye

A recent look at my bedroom made me realize that I have begun to hoard bottles from The Bruery.  Someone may think I have a problem if they saw it.  Fortunately for me, having an excess of beer from the Bruery could never be considered a problem.  As a result, I decided to reach into my "stash" and grab one of the bottles.  In comes Sour in the Rye.  Sour beer and The Bruery, one of the best matches. Seriously.  The best.

The Bruery Sour in the Rye


Appearance- Golden orange in color with an egg shell white head.  Head becomes patchy with a thin ring around the edge.

Smell- Familiar tart sour smell from the beginning.  Sour apple smell is prominent with some oak as well.  Some light fruit, lemony aroma as well.  Do not really get any of the rye.

Taste- Mouth puckering sour from the beginning of the beer.  THe faimilar apple taste from the smell returns, but is not overwhelming.  Sourness peaks in the middle and continues to the finish.  Some tart cherries and citrus sour is also balanced by the oak flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium, maybe medium-light in body.  Prickly carbonation and a dry finish.  Mouth feels covered in an almost sour residue as well.  I mean that in a good way if I didn't make that clear.

Overall- Very impressive sour.  Sour is a fairly constant presence from the beginning to the end.  Thinking it would be great to use the dregs of this beer in a sour.  Will put that on the to do list.  Have another one of these bottles and will plan to let it sit for a couple of years at the moment.

Had this beer with some homemade vegetable soup I made with a hearty slice of bread.  Hoping to start making more food this year as I am brewing more.  Also hoping that The Bruery will start sending me one of every beer they make.  Or at least just pay me to drink their beer.  Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment