Friday, September 9, 2011

New Belgium Lips of Faith: La Folie

I had heard of this beer, yet sadly living in Ohio had prevented me from trying it.  So I decided to show Ohio and move, take that you bastard of a state!  Today seemed like a good day to try it because I hadn't had a sour beer in almost five days.  Oh the humanity!

New Belgium Lips of Faith: La Folie

Appearance- Red burgundy color that is slightly hazy when held up to the light.  Small tan head at initial pour that becomes patchy although does not disappear completely.

Smell- A big whiff of sour and tartness.  More of a vinegar character and not surprising as it should be acetic acid going to work.  Dark fruits and some sour cherries noticeable in the back end.  Oak is mixed throughout.  The end brings some very slight alcohol.

Taste- Holy crap that is a nice amount of sour!  Once again for acetic with the vinegar character than lactic.  There is a sweet and sour back and forth that works very nicely.  Oak picks up after the puckering sour start with the tart cherry flavor developing into the finish.

Mouthfeel- Medium light body with a very dry finish.  Very light amount of carbonation on the tongue.

Overall and Notes- Soury goodness, how I have missed you.  Great beer and suggest picking up one if you get the chance. Although, I wouldn't be an idiot like myself and drink this first.  No way better to ruin the palate for the night.  I think anyone reading this blog is getting the sense that I was the kid that would shove a package of warheads in my mouth at birthday parties.  You would be correct.

Side note:  I really need to get a camera.... seriously.  Like.... literally.... and I mean literally in the literal sense of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment