Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pumpkin Smashing

Every year around this time pumpkin beers are in full swing.  Every year at this time I am also simultaneously tricked into trying another pumpkin beer.  Funny coincidence, no?

Whenever an individual finds out that I like beer, I am bound to be asked about a particular pumpkin beer that I need to have tried.  When I respond that pumpkin beers aren't my favorite, there seems to be an immediate glossing over of their eyes and I can almost hear their thoughts that their original suspicions were right, and I am indeed an idiot.

It's not that I dislike pumpkin beers, but I dislike most of the people that make it.  Fortunately for some brewers, the presence of a bunch of spices will knock out any troubles of making a good base beer.  The result is a mouthful of pumpkin pie spices with little depth to the beer.  Sigh.  Instead of ranting about this "dilemma," it's probably more constructive to put forth a couple of beers that are worth it in the fall (or in the middle of July since that seems to be when these beers now hit the shelves).

Some of the classic styles that actually make a well rounded beer in my opinion are Dogfish's Punkin Ale, Southern Tiers Pumking, The Bruery's Autumn Maple (although I believe this beer is made with yams), and of course my pumpkin stout (Sweet fedora, high school me!).  On the more experimental side is Jolly Pumpkin's La Parcela and although I have not tried it yet, I heard that North Peak is making a hoppy pumpkin beer.  I may have included Cape Ann's Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout, but I mistakenly paid $23 for a bottle of it at a bar in D.C. last year and I have not forgiven them quite yet.

I personally picked up a Pumking and a La Parcela.  The Pumking gives the great pumpkin pie in a bottle taste while not neglecting a solid base beer, while La Parcela is minimal on the spices, while developing the classic Jolly Pumpkin funk and sour character.  Fun fact: Last time I had a La Parcela, it was right before playing a show with a band I was in at the time.  I am under the impression that the video evidence of this performance was destroyed, I pray this is true.

In all honesty, I understand the love of the pumpkin beer (sometimes I get giddy when I get a pumpkin spiced latte), but I try to gravitate to those breweries that don't slouch with their novelty beers.  Really, just drink what you enjoy and relish in your new found confidence in my stupidity.

In other news, Jack White made another song with the Insane Clown Posse!?! It must be my lucky day!  I guess you could even say.... it's a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment